Welcome to Northam
    Latest Links

NORTHAM PARISH PLAN AND VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENTS

Coastal Erosion on the Burrows 2007 BATHING WATER QUALITY
English Nature's report on the Burrows 2008/2009 Council Tax Rates for Torridge Area Torridge District Council
Missed a Parcel or Similar use Redirect Service LOCAL POLICE Faulty manhole or drain cover or Overgrown Hedge REPORT them HERE!

 

 

The Manor of Northam dates back to the Norman invasion and is well recorded in the Doomsday Book, being part of lands owned by a Saxon Lord called Bristric, and this appears to be the first recorded evidence of what was in the area. There is evidence of pre-historic settlements and much evidence during the Saxon era, when Vikings raided the area. The Village of Northam was probably the main settlement in ancient times, with a smaller one at Appledore and the Village of Westward Ho!, not being formed until the19th Century and is simply described White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon (1850)] As a large and well-built village, pleasantly seated on the peninsula between Barnstaple Bay and the river Torridge, from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles N. of Bideford. Its parish contains 3578 inhabitants, and about 2700 acres of land, including the pretty little seaport of Appledore; Northam Ridge hamlet; many neat villas and scattered houses, and a large plain of turf common, called Northam Burrows, on which the inhabitants have common right."

 

The District now has some 12,500 residents in about 5,800 homes

 

 

Map of the Area

HOME